Get Your House Under Control - and Keep it That Way!

I'm sick this week with an exhausting virus, so I haven't had much energy to write. Or work on our tiny house motor home. Or anything else. But I've been thinking a lot about what life will be like in our tiny house - including what it will be like to keep it clean.

I've never had a spotless house, but I used to be much a better housekeeper than I am now. What changed? Over 9 years ago, I was put on pregnancy bedrest - right when I was in the middle of decluttering and moving things around in order to get ready for our first child. Due to our first born's months long hospital stay, some outside helpers moving things around, lots of therapy for our first child, the birth of our second child, my working at home...my housekeeping just never recovered.

So moving into the tiny house motor home will give me a fresh start. That's a good thing! It's my hope I can keep things tidier - and the fact that we'll be in such a small place will, I hope, help me in this goal. It's true smaller spaces get dirtier faster - but it's also true there is less to clean.



And so I'm mentally setting up my Mama Chore Chart for tiny house living. But even if you don't live in a tiny house, Mama Chore Charts are an excellent way to get your house under control - and keep it that way. Not sure how to set up your own Mama Chore Chart? Click over to my past post on the topic. There you'll find free printable Mama Chore Charts for daily, weekly, monthly, and seasonal cleaning. Plus, I offer advice on personalizing these charts to suit your family's needs. If you stick to your Mama Chore Chart, your house will become tidier.

And don't forget to have your children help you! I know it's an uphill battle getting young kids to clean, and trust me, I know it's easier just to do the cleaning yourself. Some days, give yourself a "break" and do it yourself - but most days, have the children help. Because as I lay around sick and see my 9 year old doing dishes and laundry, and I can tell you it's completely worth the effort! (Need help getting your kids started with chores? Check out Kids & Chores, Chores Teach Helpfulness, and Age Appropriate Chores for Kids.)




No comments