Biscuits and Gravy Recipe - with Video!

My husband LOVES biscuits and gravy (sometimes called sausage and gravy). For years I never made it because I was intimidated by this hearty dish. So silly! It's one of the quickest, easiest breakfasts ever! It's also a terrific sticks-with-you breakfast when you know you'll be working hard later. (We find it's an ideal chopping-wood-later-today meal.)

To show you how to make this simple dish, I created the first ever Proverbs 31 Woman video. All the info you need is in the video, but if you like to print out ingredients and instructions, you'll find those below, also. Enjoy!



Biscuits and Gravy

1 lb. sausage
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 cups milk
Pepper
Salt (optional)
Biscuits*

1. Cook the sausage in a skillet placed over medium heat, stirring and crumbling until all trace of pink disappears.

2. Sprinkle the flour over the sausage and stir well - until no trace of white appears.



3. Add the milk and stir. Season with pepper and salt. Continue cooking over medium heat until the gravy is the desired thickness, stirring now and then to prevent the gravy from sticking to the pan.

4. Spoon over warm biscuits.

* My homemade biscuits are easy, cheap, and healthier than store bought. When I know I'll want to make biscuits and gravy soon, I whip up a double batch - one for dinner that night and another for breakfast in the morning. To warm the biscuits, wrap them in a dampened paper towel and microwave for 1 minute. Or you can make the biscuits fresh in the morning; they take about 30 minutes to make from scratch.
 

3 comments

  1. Well it was nice to "meet" you! I have never made sausage gravy because I admit - I figured it was a lot of work! That's simple. I immediately noticed that your sausage had no grease. Is that a certain brand or a certain lean kind or turkey sausage? I remember watching my mom make gravy. She starts out with grease from her grease can and goes from there. That's the main reason why I never made it. We just don't cook that way around here. Great video. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skinny, it's just plain ol' pork sausage. I use the kind with little to no seasoning. Mine is labeled "Country Style." Glad you liked the video!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much fun to "see" you and your home! :)

    ReplyDelete