How to Make a Scramble

Breakfast scrambles (eaten any time of day) are a staple at our house. They are hearty, as healthy as you want to make them, and easy to whip together. Here's my easy method: 

I begin with potatoes. After washing them and pricking them a few times with a fork, I put them in the microwave to cook. An average sized potato takes about 3 minutes to cook thoroughly; add 3 minutes for every potato in the microwave. 

Alternatively, you could fry up some hashbrowns or Jerusalem artichokes. 

While the potatoes cook, I work on the bacon. I cook the bacon traditionally, in a cast iron pan. If there's a lot of grease left in the pan, I pour all but a tablespoon or so out into a measuring cup. Otherwise, I just toss the potatoes, sliced, into the pan to cook in the bacon grease. (If you don't want to use bacon grease, use olive oil. I also suggest using some herbs to ramp up the flavor a bit.) 



Let the potatoes get good and golden, then add eggs. I usually cook 2 to 3 eggs per person, and I scramble them without milk, but with some coarse sea salt and freshly ground pepper. 

At this time, you can also add other meat. For example, in the photo above, I added some pieces of pork lion my husband had grilled the night before. Scrambles are a great way to make use of left overs! 

At the end of the cooking, I add greens. Baby spinach leaves are our favorite, but you could use almost any vegetable. If it requires longer cooking (for example, if you add diced onion or sweet pepper), add it earlier in the process. 

Sometimes I then crumble the bacon and serve it in the scramble; other times I serve the bacon separately. Ladle the scramble into serving bowls or plates. (There should not be excess grease or oil; if there is, you used too much. You can remedy this by using a slotted spoon to place the scramble on some paper towels to drain.)  

You can now serve the scramble as is, or add grated cheese, salsa, and/or a dollop of sour cream. Do you serve scrambles in your house? What are your favorite ingredients?

No comments